November 2017 Jo Anne Seccurra
It won’t be long until before the snow flies and the ice fairy glazes our roads. Take time now to check and service your vehicles to make them safer and more reliable this winter.
- Check the battery to make sure it is winter ready.
- Tires should have mud and snow (M+S) or all-season tread and be in good condition.
- Brakes should be checked and serviced if necessary.
- Make sure your vehicle’s exhaust system has no leaks. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and can accumulate quickly in closed vehicles.
- Make sure your wiper blades are in good condition. Keep the windshield washer reservoir filled with antifreeze solvent.
- Check the radiator, heater core and all hoses that carry anti-freeze solution to see that they are in good condition and free of leaks. Also check to see that the solution is good to at least 40 below zero.
- Use winter weight oil (usually 5W-30) in the engine.
- Carry a winter survival kit in the vehicle.
Source: ND Department of Transportation