October 2017 Steve Kukowski
With Thanksgiving Day less than a month away, you might be thinking about joining a gym now to get a head start on a healthier lifestyle before the holiday bounty of food begins. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) offers these tips when considering a gym. Ask about the:
- Number of members. Many gyms set no membership limits. It might not be crowded when you visit, but be packed during peak hours or after a membership drive,
- Hours of operation. Do they suit your schedule? Some may limit lower-cost memberships to certain hours,
- Instructors and trainers. Some places hire trainers and instructors who have special qualifications. If you’re looking for professionals to help you, ask about their qualifications and how long they’ve been on the staff, and
- Classes. Will you need to pay extra for certain activities, or are they included in your membership fees?
- Visit the FTC online at https://bit.ly/2ld3O51 for additional tips.