August 2017 Steve Kukowski
Be careful when donating to charitable groups providing help to Texas residents. The following tips come from the office of New York State Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman:
– Give to established charities.
– Look charities up. Review information about the charity before you give.
The following websites contain helpful information to evaluate charities:
- American Institute of Philanthropy – charitywatch.org
- Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance – bbb.org
- Charity Navigator – charitynavigator.org
- GuideStar – guidestar.org
– Be cautious with telephone solicitations. – Ask how your donation will be used.
– Avoid unsolicited spam emails.
– Be careful about personal information.