Keep your pets safe during the holidays/events that have fireworks
For most of us, New Year’s Eve, Memorial Day, Independence Day, family events, birthdays, etc are a time to enjoy the pyrotechnics that mark a holiday or event. But for our pets, fireworks are another story. Many pets can be traumatized by the noisy rockets or firecrackers so many of us enjoy.
At S & R Insurance Services, Inc we hope your holiday/event is happy and safe for you and your pets. Here are some tips to help you protect your pets on these holidays/events or elsewhere.
Protecting your pets
Many pets are very frightened by the loud noises caused by fireworks. If you can’t take them away from the noise, here are some pointers from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals that will help them have a more peaceful holiday/event.
Don’t take your pet to a public fireworks display. In addition to the noise, they may be spooked by the crowds.
- If possible, leave your pet inside in a safe, secure room. Do not leave them outside, even if your yard is fenced. They may try to flee, and they may succeed; July 5 is a busy year at many animal shelters, as dogs and cats are frequently found miles from their homes. Taking your pet on a walk early in the day can help tire them out.
- Give your pets a comfortable place to rest, as well as plenty of food and water. You might even leave a TV or stereo on to drown out the fireworks. Provide soothing music, if possible. A favorite toy (or their favorite owner!) can help comfort them, too.
- Make sure your pets have an ID tag or microchip, in case they get scared and escape.
- Check with your veterinarian before giving your pet any medication intended to calm them. They may be able to provide you with a prescription or suggest alternatives.
- And, of course, keep your pet away from used and unused fireworks.
With some common sense and planning, the holidays/events can be both safe and enjoyable for everyone – and less scary for your pets. Whether you’re staying at home or heading to family and/or friends, we hope you have a wonderful time celebrating!
Courtesy of Safeco Insurance