In the event of water damage, stay calm!!! Here are some tips to help with the situation.
Make sure the water source is turned off. This will help contain the damage.
- Turn off the breaker in the damaged area before you unplug or remove any electrical devices located on the wet carpet.
- Place aluminum foil under the legs of any furniture in contact with wet carpet. This might help prevent furniture stains or your carpet.
- Lift draperies away from wet carpet.
- Pin up upholstered furniture skirts which may get wet.
- Remove books, shoes, paper goods, fabrics, potted plants, and other items which may stain wet carpet.
- DO NOT use your home vacuum, since electrical shock may result, as well as certain damage to the equipment itself.
- DO NOT place newspaper in traffic areas to walk on, since newspaper ink transfers easily to the wet carpet fibers and may result in permanent staining.
- DO NOT walk on carpet any more than necessary. This will keep the damage from spreading to unaffected areas.
Courtesy of Rainbow International Restoration & Cleaning www.rainbowintl.com